By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, revised Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. You can change your cookie settings through your browser.
CHOOSE YOUR LANGUAGE
CHOOSE YOUR LANGUAGE
互联网新闻信息许可证10120180008
Disinformation report hotline: 010-85061466
A man looks at the collapsed Maha Myat Muni Pagoda following an earthquake in Mandalay, Myanmar, March 28, 2025. /VCG
Rescuers are desperately searching for survivors in Myanmar after the largest earthquake in more than a century on Friday killed over 1,600 people, injured more than 3,000, and flattened buildings. The U.S. Geological Survey estimated that the death toll could top 10,000.
Following the deadly earthquake, Min Aung Hlaing, leader of the current military government, declared a state of emergency and made a plea for help in an "open invitation to any organizations and nations willing to come and help the people in need within our country."
So far, countries including China, India, Vietnam and Thailand have sent or deployed rescue teams to Myanmar.
The Blue Sky Rescue (BSR) team from China started their assessment work immediately upon their arrival in Mandalay on Sunday.
Another rescue team sent by southwest China's Yunnan Province arrived in Nay Pyi Taw, another badly affected Myanmar city, on Saturday morning. The 37-member rescue and medical team was the first international rescue group to arrive in the country. It's equipped with 112 sets of full-featured life detectors, earthquake early warning systems, portable satellites, drones, and other emergency relief materials.
Two C-17 aircraft carrying an Indian Army Field Hospital Unit with 118 members and 60 tonnes of relief material have landed in Myanmar, according to Randhir Jaiswal, spokesperson of India's Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Sunday. More ships and flights carrying aid to Myanmar are said to follow.
Vietnam will also deploy a 79-member military task force to assist with earthquake search and rescue operations and post-disaster recovery efforts in Myanmar, Vietnam News Agency reported on Saturday. The team, organized by the Department of Rescue and Relief under the Ministry of Defense, is scheduled to depart for Myanmar on Sunday afternoon, the report said.
In addition, Thailand announced on Sunday that it would send a Thai military rescue team to Myanmar to assist with relief efforts. Meanwhile, Russia has committed to sending planeloads of relief supplies and personnel. In response to the disaster, U.S. President Donald Trump described the earthquake as "terrible" and pledged that his country would assist Myanmar.
Others sending aid include the European Union, which has pledged 2.5 million euros ($2.7 million) in initial emergency aid, South Korea, Malaysia and Singapore.
In Myanmar, wrecked roads and rubble are impeding relief efforts, according to the United Nations, as the race to find survivors continues.
Severe shortages of medical supplies, including trauma kits, blood bags, anesthetics, and assistive devices, have also complicated relief efforts, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said on Saturday.
According to OCHA, more than 1,200 houses, three school buildings, one hotel and several religious structures have been damaged or destroyed as of Friday. It also noted damage to hospitals, major bridges, universities, and historical and public buildings.